While in Florida, I was told that I should be completely grateful and appreciative to Mich for driving me to the east coast as no one in my family considered offering to play chauffer. Why would they? Because it would mean admitting that I have a weakness and periodically require help from others, which is unacceptable because I'm the giver in these relationships. If Mich had not offered to drive me, I would have needed to rent a car and pay for an extra night in a hotel because I would have been unable to drive after six hours of playing headliner and presenter at a conference. I mentioned the comment to Mich, who laughed. Mich said she was being absolutely selfish driving me because it meant uninterrupted Melissa-time with me in the car, seeing me lecture, free meals, and a hotel near the beach. Mich didn't mind me crashing as soon as we got to the car or that I required an out-of-the-way Starbucks run upon waking.
This is what sisters and friends do for each other. If one needs a shoulder, then the other offers and it is reciprocated. For me, I abhor one-way relationships, which is why I've struggled over the years with friendships. I expect the give and take of a friendship/ relationship to go both ways and when it becomes a one way street, I lose patience. I love my sister. I worry about her everyday because of the decisions that she makes but I refuse to punish myself by calling and checking on things. I know when a crisis erupts that she'll call, but in the meantime, I'd prefer to surround myself with healthier relationships.

1 comment:
Love ya!
Becky
Post a Comment