I guess it's official, I am no longer a Floridian. The last vestiges of my Southern life has disappeared. I know it sounds melodramatic, but it did bother me. I spent yesterday at the BMV waiting to receive my new license plate. If that wasn't torture enough, once I received my plate I realized this was it. As my hubby removed the Florida plates and asked if I wanted to keep them, my chest constricted. This was my last official link to Florida. Of course, I decided I need a new plate holder. Can anyone guess what they will be? I'll give you a hint...die-hard Gator fan here.
I have also officially changed my phone number this weekend. I no longer have an 813 area code. 813 has been my area code almost my entire life, with the exception of those college years.
Don't get me wrong. I am pleased with my decision to move, but I guess it's finally hit me that I am not planning to move back. My girlfriend says I sound more like a Yank everyday. I don't believe her. I am a southerner at heart and always will be, even though I no longer live in the South. Go Gators!!!
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
oops. Holy book, not hold.
Heh, you pronounce some words that scream South/Florida/West Virginia, so you still have ties to the South.
Besides, being Southern is a state of mind. You can't get rid of Being Southern just because you pronounce the hold book "bieble" instead of "bable."
And as long as you're a Gator fan, what else can you be but a Southerner? A Buckeye is a SEED (aka, a worthless not), a Wolverine is an angry weasel, and what's a Hoosier anyway? Pul-ease! They have nothing on Gators and Razorbacks!
Who-Pig!
I haven't noticed an accent, but I guess we haven't had a lot of conversations. Besides, everyone says Florida is more Yankee than Indiana, so you've been a Yank for a long time. :)
Post a Comment