Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Objectifying Men

I know, I know, I always joke about the eye candy when watching a tv show, movie, or sometimes when discussing a real person, but I was recently disturbed by a trend I noticed. With the release of New Moon a few weeks ago, women were clambering to catch a glimpse of the actors from the movie. As I watched interviews on late night tv, I found it uncomfortable to listen to the actors discuss their interactions with female fans. Some of them are truly disturbing.

Robert Pattinson openly discusses women asking him to bite them, while the other actors have women continuously offering themselves up or asking for the clothes off the actor's backs. Taylor Lautner frequently tells a story of a woman asking him to sign the panties she was wearing at the time. Let's remember he's underage.

If a man treated a woman the way these actors are being objectified, we would find his behavior sexist and misogynistic, yet we find it acceptable for women to behave in this fashion. I'm not sure when women became the alpha male, but its dismaying that we are teaching young girls to act in this manner.

4 comments:

Delia said...

I've seen this happening for years. Women used to be selective as a biological imperative (to select the best mate/father possible)but the sexual revolution. instead of giving women freedom, made them feel that there was something wrong and backwards with them if they DIDN'T act with the sexual nonchalance of the male (whose biological imperative is to spread his seed as far as he can. So over the last 40 years, all we as a culture has gained from this has been a devaluing of the female imperative. Women now have the right, nay necessity to behave in the thoughtless way males do. Women feel they must objectify men to show that they themselves are the dominant sexual creatures. (There is no dominant sex: both are required for nature's main goal of procreation.) And now we've thrown in the whole cougar thing. The middle aged woman who asked a 17 year old to sign her panties needs to think: Will a 17-year old WANT to see my panties? Will I look old and desperate and foolish to him, and everyone around who sees me? (Thanks for allowing me to rant, too!)

SidneyKay said...

Now, you see I would call these women/girls, groupies, which is a whole other thing. There have always been these kind of silly female people out there shrieking and drooling and throwing their panties on the stage. I believe even Franz Litz had quite a collection of groupies, along with Ol blue eyes, the guy from graceland and those four guys from Liverpool. I don't think this has too much to do with a selection of a mate, lets be honest here, these celebrity guys are way out of my league. And don't forget, Jim Morrison, Led Zeppelin, even that ugly guy with the lips, Mick Jagger...all have shrieking pant throwers. Let me think of more, Errol Flynn, Charlie Chaplin, John Barrymore, Clark Gable, Tyrone Power, Rudolph Valentino (who by the way had women throwing themselves at his coffin). I don't think this is a new phenomenon.

SidneyKay said...

And while I'm on the subject...just what makes these guys attractive. I bet Mick Jagger, who is what, a 100, still gets silly women screaming at him and trying to get into his bed...why? It can't be their looks, at least the Patterson kid is cute.

SidneyKay said...

Another thought. How are these underage guys being portrayed in the movie? No shirts, muscles. Remember that one Harry Potter movie where Harry gets in the water? I'm sure that was a deliberate move on the directors part to make Daniel Radcliffe sexy. If these kids are really underage, should they be portrayed that way on the big screen? Isn't that child exploitation?

I'm done now. Thank you.