Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Elitism

I have a Bachelors and Masters degree, yet I am of the opinion this does not make me better than other people, whereas apparently making it through a few years of school and having some letters after your name creates an elitist mind set for others. Working in the library field, I have watched this dynamic for years. Mind you, this is not a commentary on whether a MLS is required for the job, but rather the treatment of our fellow colleagues. One of the best business librarians I have ever met was Suzanne, who did not have a library degree and I'm unsure if she even had a bachelors degree, but she had 30 plus years experience and a knowledge base that many could not rival. When I had new hires, I always asked specifically for my BF, Michelle, to train them on the ILS (catalog). This was prior to her receiving her degree back when she was a circulation supervisor and an ILS assistant. In my opinion, she was more qualified to explain the OPAC (customer portion of the catalog) as well as the background system that we used that any IT specialist or degreed librarians.

Currently, I have three friends at my current place of employment who do not have library degrees, yet I feel they are my equals and professional colleagues, yet by their own statements and others comments, they are viewed as non-professionals. I heard such a comment yesterday, which made me furious for my colleague. These three wonderful ladies have experience and knowledge that I completely lack, which makes me view them as mentors. I learn so much from them and at the same time, do not believe I could accomplish some of my tasks without their collaboration.

As someone who was raised by a mother who barely completed her Associates, I can state that many people are just as capable of doing the job as those with degrees (and sometimes better). And just because they have a job title that is demeaning rather than a true title that defines their work, does not mean we have permission to put them in their place. Their place is to be recognized and reminded of their worth. So to my professional colleagues, friends, mentors, and all around gurus, thank you for being my partner at work. And ignore all those people who claim you need some letters after your name.

5 comments:

SidneyKay said...

Hormones kicking in again. Guess I'll go listen to Susan Boyle again! It's nice that you support your friends.

Anonymous said...

Ack! I hate it when people think a degree is the only measure of someone's abilities. Idiots.

Becky

Dawne said...

Then there are those who have letters after their names and you wonder how in the world they earned them ...

Michelle said...

Somebody ate their Wheaties this morning! Go Mel! I love that you are unbiased like this and I always have. I remember being a lowly circulation assistant and many Librarians did not recognize that I was capable of anything other than clerical work. But you always treated me with respect. Thank you!

Colette said...

Yep! That's what I experience everyday. :) I'll keep this short or I might start rambling... the few things that keep me from going off the deep end, due to this subject you are writing about, are knowing that I have something(s) else in my life. I will be embarking on a better career in April. And I don't need a degree for it!!!
I cheer you for supporting your friends too!