Friday, January 18, 2008

MySpace

MySpace has created a controversy in libraries. Several library systems have decided to block it, others have chosen to allow people access to the site. Now there are discussions of whether libraries should participate in the "social network". I think libraries should use it for their purposes. They should use it to advertise their services and programs. Libraries can use it for PR purposes. They can also entice new library users by showing what a library has to offer. Upon discovering what the library has, several people have stated to me, "I didn't know the library did that". This is very telling that the public is not aware of our purpose. I have concerns with the "friends" groupings. I do worry about profane and inappropriate content being involved in the library's image.

For myself personally, these "social networks" do not appeal. I have always questioned those who feel they need to join a "clique" to feel important. Reading articles about kids who are excited about the number of "friends" they have on these sites concerns me. Shouldn't they be meeting friends through school and extracurricular activities?

No comments: